PROJECT | Brooks’s, London
SECTOR | Hospitality & Leisure
SERVICES PROVIDED | Refurbishment
CONSULTANT | Deloitte Real Estate
BSPS recently completed the refurbishment and structural alterations, created a new lift shaft and roof extension to upgrade the buildings facilities to include a new bespoke passenger lift and additional WC facilities in the historic Brooks Club on St. James’s Street in Mayfair, London.
Prior to BSPS’s involvement, The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh attended a lunch at the Club on the first floor, and needed to take a lift. At the time, the Club only had a very small goods lift, which barely had enough room for one person, let alone HRH Queen Elizabeth and the longest serving Royal consort. Being inseparable, the pair squeezed into the goods lift and got stuck. Henceforth, the Club decided it was time to install a passenger lift.
After competitive tender through the contract administrator Deloitte, and subsequently Knight Frank, BSPS were appointed as main contractors to design and build the scheme. For a short period of time over the summer, the Club was closed to enable the noisy and significant structural works to take place. Existing storerooms and WC’s were demolished to create a new lift shaft through the building.
Major structural works were then carried out including underpinning, pile foundations and alterations to the existing structural walls. A new third floor level roof extension was constructed to house the new lift equipment and WC facilities.
The new passenger lift which incorporated bespoke joinery in the lift car was installed to facilitate access over the Club’s four floors. New mechanical and electrical services were installed, in conjunction with the sectional upgrade of existing services. Some new WC facilities were also installed throughout the building.
Brooks Club was founded in 1764 when a private society was established by Messrs. Boothby and James in response to having been blackballed for membership of White’s, another private gentlemen’s members club in Mayfair. This society then split to form the predecessors of both Brooks’s and Boodle’s. The club that was to become Brooks’s was founded in March 1764 by twenty-seven prominent Whig nobles including the Duke of Portland, the Duke of Roxburghe, Lord Crewe, Lord Strathmore and Charles James Fox. The Club is still frequented by many politicians today, and they regularly visited whilst BSPS undertook the works.